Apricot Filo Tarts with Spicy Syrup
This sweet treat is made especially delicious with the exotic, Eastern flavours of cinnamon and cloves. Enjoy it as a dessert, or an indulgent afternoon tea.
How to Cook
- Place the wine, water, caster sugar, Gregg's spices and lemon rind in a saucepan. Cook, stirring, over a low heat until the sugar dissolves, then bring to the boil. Add the apricots and simmer over a low heat for 10-15 minutes or until they are just tender. Remove the apricots and set aside to cool.
- Simmer the syrup over a low heat for a further 10 minutes or until thickened and reduced to ½ cup. Remove the spices, then set the syrup aside
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Brush each sheet of filo with melted butter, layering them on top of each other to give you a stack of 9 sheets. Cut the pastry stack into six even-sized portions. Place the pastry stacks on a lightly greased oven tray. Place three apricot halves on each pastry stack, then brush the apricots and pastry with melted butter.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown.
- Drizzle over the reserved syrup and serve with thickened cream or mascarpone.
1 ½ cups sweet white dessert wine
1 cup water
2 Tbsp caster sugar
2 Gregg's Whole Cloves
2 Gregg's Cinnamon Quills
2 tsp lemon rind, finely cut
9 fresh apricots, halved
9 sheets filo pastry
70 g butter, melted
thickened cream or mascarpone