Whether you call these rolls or scrolls, these homemade cinnamon scrolls are incredibly light and fluffy! Try them with cream cheese icing or simply add your favourite raisins or sultanas to the mixture before rolling.
How to Cook
- Preheat oven to 200°C (fan assisted). Sift flour, baking powder, sugar and salt into a mixing bowl. Cut the butter into pieces and rub into the flour mix with your fingertips to form coarse breadcrumbs.
- Mix in buttermilk to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured board and knead lightly to form a ball. Roll out to a 20cm x 30cm rectangle.
- Brush dough with melted butter, reserving a little for the tops. Mix together brown sugar and Gregg’s Ground Cinnamon and sprinkle over the dough.
- Roll up from the longest side to form a scroll. Cut into 8 even sized pieces. Place scroll side up on a greased baking tray, placing them close together but not touching. Brush tops with a little of the remaining melted butter. Bake for 17-20 minutes until pale golden in colour and cooked. The scrolls will be soft and springy when pressed with your finger.
- Allow to cool on the tray. Drizzle over icing. Serve once icing has set.
To make the icing:
- Sift icing sugar into a bowl. Mix in milk to form a pourable icing.
2 cups flour
2 ½ tsp baking powder
1 Tbsp sugar
¼ tsp salt
50 g butter, chilled
1 cup buttermilk
20 g butter, melted
2 Tbsp soft brown sugar
2 tsp Gregg’s Ground Cinnamon
½ cup icing sugar
1 ½ Tbsp milk