Ginger, Caramel and White Chocolate Slice
Love a good caramel slice? Then this decadent treat is for you. White chocolate with a generous layer of ginger caramel will be too hard to resist.
How to Cook
- Preheat oven to 180°C (fan assisted). Line a 27 cm x 18 cm slice cake tin with baking paper.
- Mix together the flour, baking powder, brown sugar and melted butter. Press evenly into the bottom of the prepared tin. Bake for 12 minutes or until the base is a light golden colour. Remove from the oven and set aside in the tin while preparing the filling.
- In a saucepan, add the sweetened condensed milk, butter, golden syrup and Gregg’s Ground Ginger. Stir over medium heat until almost boiling, it will thicken during heating.* Pour the filling over the shortcake base, carefully spreading to cover the base. Return to the oven and bake for a further 12 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool in the tin. Carefully lift out and place on a wire rack.
- Melt the white chocolate in a heatproof bowl over hot water or in the microwave for 20 second bursts. Spread over the cooled filling.
- Scatter the chopped crystallised ginger over the chocolate. Refrigerate until set. Cut into slices. Store in an airtight container.
* It’s important to stir the caramel during heating to prevent lumps forming and it catching on the bottom of the saucepan. This can also be done in a bowl over simmering hot water if wished.
** Use a serrated knife to cut into slices.
1½ cups flour
1½ cups tsp baking powder
½ cup brown sugar
125g butter, melted
2 x 395g cans sweetened condensed milk
¼ cup golden syrup
3 tsp Gregg's Ground Ginger
200g white chocolate
¼ cup crystallised ginger, finely chopped