Gingerbread Christmas Cookies
This favourite recipe is perfect for making the most delicious smelling and tasting Christmas cookies. They’re great to decorate and gift to loved ones. Get creative with your cookie shapes, and get the kids involved in decorating!
How to Cook
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper.
- Sift flour, baking soda and Gregg's Ground Ginger together and place in a bowl or food processor. Add soft brown sugar or dark cane sugar.
- Add butter and rub in with fingertips or pulse in food processor until resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add egg and stir or pulse to mix. If the dough is too sticky, add a little more flour to the mix and wrap in cling wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Roll out on lightly floured surface or between 2 sheets of baking paper until 5mm thick. Using cookie cutters, cut shapes and place on tray. Form leftover dough into a ball and re-roll and repeat cutting out until all the dough is used up.
- Bake cookies for 8-10 minutes or until cooked and golden. Remove from oven and cool on baking rack.
- Make icing by adding 1-2 tsp water to icing sugar until it reaches desired consistency. Transfer icing to a piping bag. Decorate with different designs such as dots, stripes and snowflake patterns. If wished pipe a small amount under each spot where you wish to place a silver cachous. Set aside until set.
To make this gluten free:
Use 1 ¾ cups gluten free flour and ½ tsp xantham gum. Sift both ingredients in a bowl or food processor along with Gregg’s Ground Ginger, as per method 2.
2 cups flour
½ tsp baking soda
1 Tbsp Gregg's Ground Ginger
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
150 g butter
1 egg, beaten
½ cup icing sugar
Silver cachous (silver soft sugar pearls) to decorate (optional)