How to Cook
- Preheat oven to 180°C (conventional bake). Grease and line the base of a 23 cm springform cake tin with baking paper.
- To make the Spiced Sugar: Mix the ingredients together.
- To make the Cake: Using an electric beater, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Sift and fold in the gluten free flour and baking powder with the ground almonds and milk. Spoon into the prepared tin, level the top with a knife.
- Place the apple slices onto the cake, fanning them out so that they overlap. Sprinkle the spiced sugar over the top of the apples.
- Bake for 50–55 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean. Cool in the tin for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool. Brush with apple syrup glaze if wished.
- To make the Apple Syrup Glaze: Boil the apple juice in a small saucepan until reduced to a syrup.
- Serve the cake sliced with Greek yoghurt or whipped cream. A little lemon curd on the side will also go well.
* A mandoline is a good kitchen tool for slicing the apples thinly and evenly.* Replace gluten free flour with 1 ¼ cups standard flour.
* Replace apple slices with fresh pear slices, if wished.
This recipe is classified as Gluten Free. To the best of our knowledge, the ingredients used in this recipe including the Heinz Wattie’s products do not contain any added cereals containing gluten or ingredients derived from cereals containing gluten. It is important to carefully read ingredient labels on food products because foods can sometimes be reformulated and the ingredients, allergens or nutrition information can sometimes change without notice.