How to Cook
To make the Indian Spice Mix:
- Mix all the spices together. Store leftovers in an airtight container.
To make the Chicken Tikka Masala:
- Toss the chicken pieces in 1 Tbsp of the Indian Spice Mix. Refrigerate chicken for 15 minutes to marinate.
- Heat the oil in a lidded deep frying pan. Add the chicken and brown over a medium heat. Remove chicken from the pan and set aside.
- Reduce the heat. Add onion and soften over a medium low heat. Add garlic and fresh chilli and stir-fry a further 30 seconds. Add 1 Tbsp of the Indian Spice Mix with Gregg’s Whole Cumin Seeds. Stir-fry until spices are fragrant.
- Pour over Wattie’s Crushed and Sieved Tomatoes. Return chicken to the pan. Add salt and sugar. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Remove the lid and continue cooking for a further 10-15 minutes, until chicken is cooked and sauce reduced a little. Remove from the heat and stand for 5 minutes. Stir through yoghurt.
- Serve with Basmati Rice and garnish with freshly chopped coriander.
* The membrane around the seeds is the hottest part of the chilli – remove to reduce the spice heat, omit the seeds if wished.
* If you don’t like a chilli heat omit the chilli altogether.
* To freeze: omit the yoghurt, allow curry to cool before transferring to an airtight container and freeze. Thaw in refrigerator before reheating. Stir through yoghurt just before serving. Will keep for up to 1 month in the freezer.