How to Cook
- Preheat oven to 180°C (conventional bake). Grease and line a 23cm loose bottom cake tin with baking paper.
- Beat the softened butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time. Fold in sifted gluten free flour and baking powder and ground almonds with the milk. Spoon into the prepared tin, levelling the top with a knife.
- Cut the apple into quarters and remove the core. Slice thinly. Place the apple slices onto the cake, fanning them out so that they overlap. Sprinkle the spiced sugar over the top of the apples.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes until a skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean. Cool in the tin for 10 minutes before removing to a baking rack to cool. Brush with apple syrup glaze if wished. Serve sliced with Greek Yoghurt or whipped cream. A little lemon curd on the side will also go well.
- Mix sugar, Gregg’s Ground Nutmeg and Gregg’s Ground Cinnamon together.
Apple Syrup Glaze:
- Boil the apple juice in a small saucepan until reduced to a syrup.
* A mandoline is a good kitchen tool for slicing the apples thinly and evenly.
This recipe is classified as Gluten Free. To the best of our knowledge, the ingredients used in this recipe including the Heinz Wattie’s products do not contain any added cereals containing gluten or ingredients derived from cereals containing gluten. It is important to carefully read ingredient labels on food products because foods can sometimes be reformulated and the ingredients, allergens or nutrition information can sometimes change without notice.