How to Cook
- Heat the olive oil in a medium/large saucepan. Add the onion and cook over a low heat until onion softens, stirring regularly.
- Add garlic and cook a further minute. Pour over Wattie’s Tomatoes Chopped in Juice and add Gregg’s Rubbed Sweet Basil, Gregg’s Rubbed Oregano, balsamic vinegar, sugar and salt. Stir while bringing the sauce to the boil. Reduce heat to a low simmer. Cook for 40 minutes with the lid off, stirring occasionally making sure the sauce does not reduce too much. Remove from the heat. Taste and adjust seasoning adding a little extra salt and black pepper if wished.
* Cool and pour into airtight containers – making sure you label the amount of sauce and date it. Sauce will keep frozen for up to 3 months.
* Cooking the onions over a low heat draws out the sweetness.
* This makes a great sauce base to add to casseroles.
* Reduce sauce to 1 ½ cups and spread over pizza bases.
This Italian Tomato Base Sauce is a great base to making the following recipes: Beef Lasagne and Slow Cooked Beef Ragu.
Other Ways To Use This Sauce:
** Depending on how you use the sauce - you may want to add a little stock or water.
- Heat the sauce and pour over grilled sausages, steak or chicken.
- Brown chicken thighs in a lidded frypan. Pour over sauce. Cover and simmer for 40-45 mins, until chicken thighs are cooked.
- Brown 400g mince. Pour over sauce. Stir and simmer for 30 minutes - serve over your favourite pasta. Add sliced mushrooms to the browned mince if wished. Crumb fish fillets. Pan fry. Heat sauce, adding a few capers and olives if wished, and serve with the fish.
- Brown stewing steak in a flameproof casserole. Pour over sauce. Cover. Cook at 160°C for 2½-3 hours until meat is tender.
- Reduce sauce to a thick paste. Allow to cool and spread over pizza bases before topping with your favourite toppings.