Bacon & Mushroom Carbonara
This classic pasta dish is delicious and comforting and a great excuse to get everyone around the table. Serve with a green garden salad and fresh bread.
How to Cook
- Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil. Add pasta to the boiling water and cook according to the packet instructions. Once cooked, drain the pasta reserving ½ cup of the cooking water.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan. Add the bacon and cook until lightly browned then add the mushrooms and Gregg's Crushed Garlic, and cook until coloured and fragrant.
- While the bacon is cooking place the Parmesan cheese, cream and eggs in a medium sized bowl and whisk until combined. Add the reserved cooking water and mix well.
- Once the bacon and mushrooms are cooked, add the drained pasta to the frying pan along with the egg mixture. Stir well. Cook over a low heat for 5 minutes, or until sauce thickens, stirring continuously.
- Season with freshly ground Gregg's Natural Sea Salt and Whole Black Peppercorns.
- Garnish with freshly chopped parsley or spring onions, if desired.
350 g fettuccine or dried pasta, of your choice
1 cup bacon, sliced into small pieces
3 cups sliced mushrooms
2 tsp Gregg's Crushed Garlic
⅓ cup grated Parmesan cheese
⅓ cup cream
2 eggs, lightly beaten
Gregg's Natural Sea Salt, freshly ground
Gregg's Whole Black Peppercorns, freshly ground
parsley or spring onions, to garnish (optional)