Lentil and Spinach Cannelloni
Nothing beats this Italian classic. A rich sauce, creamy ricotta and lentils, the perfect mince alternative. A great all rounder and even better for lunch the next day.
How to Cook
- Preheat oven to 190°C. Heat a dash of oil in a saucepan and over medium heat cook the onion and garlic until soft. Stir in the Gregg's Ground Cumin and cook a further minute. Transfer to a mixing bowl. Add chopped spinach and drained Wattie’s Lentils in Springwater. Add the ricotta. Season with salt and black pepper to taste and mix together.
- Heat the Wattie's Crushed and Sieved Tomatoes in a saucepan until hot. Stir through basil pesto. Pour ⅓ of the passata into a lasagne style dish (approx 2L capacity).
- Cut each fresh lasagne pasta sheet into 4. Divide the mixture and spoon generous amounts of filling along the short end of the pasta sheet and roll loosely to enclose the filling, to make the cannelloni. Place into the lasagne dish seam-side down. Continue with the remaining filling and pasta, placing the filled cannelloni in a single layer in the dish.
- Pour the remaining Passata over the cannelloni. Scatter over the grated parmesan.
- Cover dish with foil and bake for 15 minutes. Remove foil and continue cooking for a further 20 – 25 minutes until pasta is tender and top golden.
* Replace the fresh lasagne sheets with dried if desired. Using the large dried lasagne sheets, cook them in a single layer in boiling water until soft enough to roll.
* Alternatively use dried cannelloni tubes and fill the mixture into the cannelloni using a small spoon or piping bag with a med sized nozzle.
1 med onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 tsp Gregg's Ground Cumin
120 g bag baby spinach leaves, chopped
400 g can Wattie's Lentils in Springwater
200 g tub Ricotta
2 400g cans Wattie's Crushed and Sieved Tomatoes
2 Tbsp basil pesto
2 fresh lasagne pasta sheets
½ cup (40g) grated Parmesan Cheese