Full of flavour, these pickled onions complement cold meats and complete a ploughman's lunch platter. They are a perfect addition sliced and added to a summer salad, or serve with a selection of cheeses at pre-dinner drinks.
Makes 1 - 2 large jars
How to Cook
- Peel the onions and place in a glass or plastic bowl. Sprinkle with the Gregg's Natural Sea Salt. Add cold water to cover the onions. Cover and stand at room temperature overnight.
- Drain and rinse the onions then pack tightly into clean sterilized jars. Add a Gregg's Bay Leaf to each jar.
- Place the vinegar, Gregg's Pickling Spice and sugar in a saucepan and bring to the boil. Pour the pickling liquid onto the onions, ensuring the onions are covered. Seal the jars.
- Leave in a cool, dark place for 5 to 6 weeks before eating.
- Serve, drained, alongside cold meats and on antipasto platters.
1 kg pickling onions
½ cup Gregg's Natural Sea Salt
Gregg's Whole Bay Leaves
3 cups white or malt vinegar, approximately
1 Tbsp Gregg's Whole Pickling Spice
¼ cup sugar