Refried Bean Burritos
These healthy, homemade refried bean burritos are great for Mexican night! Plus they make great leftovers for lunch!
How to Cook
- Heat a dash of oil in a small lidded frying pan. Cook onion, garlic and chilli over a low heat until onion is soft but not browned. Add Gregg’s Ground Cumin and cook a further minute.
- Add Wattie’s Pinto Beans with the springwater and continue cooking a further 10 minutes, covering the pan if the liquid reduces too quickly.
- Remove from the heat and smash with a potato masher or fork. Season to taste and add a squeeze of lime juice.
- Cook the rice according to packet directions and stir through coriander.
- Warm the tortillas according to packet instructions. Spoon the refried beans and coriander rice down the centre of the tortilla. Top with shredded lettuce, grated cheese and chopped tomatoes. Do not overfill to allow room to fold the ends in. Fold the bottom edge up over the filling and roll up.
* Refried beans are great as a dip with corn chips. Spoon refried beans over corn chips and top with grated cheese – place under the grill to melt the cheese and top with sour cream. Serve with your favourite tomato salsa.
* Add stir-fry beef strips. Toss beef strips in a little Gregg’s Mexican Fajita Seasoning and stir-fry in a little oil. Layer in your burritos with the refried beans.
* Replace Wattie’s Pinto Beans in Springwater with Wattie’s Black Beans in Springwater if wished.
* Replace the grated cheese with sliced avocado if wished.
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 - 2 clove garlic, crushed
½ red chilli, seeds and membrane removed and finely diced
1 tsp Gregg's Ground Cumin
400 g can Wattie's Pinto Beans in Springwater
squeeze lime juice
125 g pottle microwaveable rice (or ½ cup cooked rice)
handful coriander leaves, chopped
4 medium tortilla
Grated low fat cheese