- To make the marinade mix together crushed garlic, pepper, Gregg’s Ground Chipotle, Heinz Tomato Ketchup and buttermilk. Cut chicken thigh fillets into 2-3 pieces. Toss to coat in the marinade. Cover and leave to marinate in the fridge for an hour or overnight.
- Mix together panko crumbs, flour, Gregg’s Ground Chipotle and thyme.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and coat in the panko crumb mix. Place on a tray and refrigerate for 20-30 minutes.
- Pour enough vegetable oil into a frying pan to a depth of 1.5cm. Heat oil. Shallow fry chicken pieces over medium heat, turning once until golden and cooked. Juices should run clear when the chicken is pierced with a fork (internal temperature should be 74°C).
- Serve with a red cabbage slaw.
* To make your own buttermilk – to ½ cup whole milk add ½ Tbsp lemon juice or ½ Tbsp white vinegar.
** Place marinade ingredients in a sealable plastic bag. Add chicken and massage the marinade into the chicken. Seal and refrigerate.
** Replace buttermilk with unsweetened natural yoghurt if wished.
** Fill burger buns with Southern Fried Chicken and red cabbage slaw.