- Heat a dash of oil in a medium sized lidded pan over low heat. Add the onion, garlic and ginger and sauté until the onion softens. Add the Gregg’s Whole Cumin Seeds and Gregg’s Ground Coriander and cook for a further minute to allow the spices to ‘cook out’.
- Add the Wattie’s Crushed and Sieved Tomatoes, drained Wattie’s Lentils and sugar if using. Stir and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes, covering the pan if the sauce is reducing too much. Stir occasionally to avoid the lentils sticking to the base of the pan.
- Add the baby spinach leaves and coconut milk and continue cooking until the spinach wilts and sauce is hot. Season to taste. Garnish with coriander, if wished.
- Serve with basmati rice, lemon wedges and poppadoms if wished.
* Adding the sugar helps to reduce the acidity of the tomatoes and draw out the flavours.
* Leftover coconut milk will keep in the fridge for 2–3 days or freeze in an airtight container for use at a later date.