- Preheat oven to 200°C fan bake or 220°C conventional and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Sift self-raising flour, salt and cayenne pepper into a mixing bowl. Stir in the grated cheese. Make a well. Pour in the milk and soda water and mix together to form a soft dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a well floured surface. Pat or roll the dough into a rectangle about 2cm thick. Cut dough into 12 pieces. Place on a baking tray.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden. Remove and cool wrapped in a tea towel. Serve warm with butter or margarine.
* For variation, add chopped spring onions, parsley or chopped sundried tomatoes when adding the grated cheese.