- Heat a dash of oil in a saucepan. Add the onion and garlic and sauté over low heat until the onion is soft. Add the Gregg's Whole Cumin Seeds, Gregg's Ground Coriander and Wattie's Tomato Paste. Stir and continue cooking a further minute.
- Pour over the Wattie’s Mexican Style Tomatoes. Add the drained Wattie’s Black Beans and chopped oregano. Stir and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15–20 minutes or until the sauce is reduced by a third. Stir in the chopped jalapeño peppers if wished. Serve in wraps or over rice. Garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
* Replace black beans with your favourite legumes – canned and drained chickpeas, kidney beans, cannellini beans or pinto beans.* Use as the base on pizza and create a Mexican pizza – simply top with your favourite toppings. Here are some other non-vegetarian options using this base recipe:
- Brown 400g of mince with the onions and garlic. Continue as per the recipe. Serve over nachos or in tacos. It may be necessary to reduce the sauce further if using in tacos.
- Serve sauce over grilled or crumbed chicken.
- Great served over a grilled steak.
- Grill sausages and either pour sauce over or cut cooked sausages into pieces and add to sauce.
- For Mexican fish, flour and pan-fry snapper fillets. Serve sauce over the cooked fish.
- For a Mexican-inspired cottage pie, brown 400g mince with the onions and garlic and continue as per recipe. Spoon into an ovenproof dish and top with creamy mashed potato. Sprinkle with grated cheese bake until potato is golden and filling hot.