- Heat the olive oil in a medium/large saucepan. Add the onion and cook over a low heat until onion softens, stirring regularly.
- Add garlic and cook a further minute. Add Gregg’s Ground Coriander, Gregg’s Ground Cumin, Gregg’s Chilli Flakes and Gregg’s Ground Smoked Paprika and stir until the spices smell fragrant. Pour over Wattie's Tomatoes Chopped in Juice and add Gregg’s Rubbed Oregano, brown sugar and salt. Stir while bringing to the boil. Reduce heat to a low simmer. Cook for 30 minutes with the lid off, stirring occasionally making sure the sauce does not reduce too much. Remove from the heat.
- Transfer sauce to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Taste and season with a little extra salt and black pepper if necessary. (Note this recipe makes 2 ½ cups only 1 ½ cups is required for the rice).
Mexican Black Bean Rice:
- Heat a dash of oil in a heavy base lidded saucepan. Add the red capsicum and cook over a low heat until starting to soften.
- Add the rice and stir to coat in the oil. Pour over the Mexican Sauce and water. Add the drained Wattie’s Black Beans and Wattie’s frozen Corn Kernels. Stir while bringing to the boil. Reduce heat to a low simmer. Cover. Cook for 20 - 25 minutes, stirring often during cooking to avoid the rice sticking to the base of the pan until the rice is cooked and the sauce has been absorbed into the rice. Season to taste. Serve garnished with freshly chopped coriander.
* Serve with grilled fish or chicken.
* Use to fill burritos, tacos or quesadillas.
* Chill rice and form into rice cakes. Pan fry in a little oil until golden.