- Heat the olive oil in a medium/large saucepan. Add the onion and cook over a low heat until onion softens, stirring regularly.
- Add garlic and cook a further minute. Add Gregg’s Ground Coriander, Gregg’s Ground Cumin, Gregg’s Chilli Flakes and Gregg’s Ground Smoked Paprika and stir until the spices smell fragrant. Pour over Wattie’s Tomatoes Chopped in Juice and add Gregg’s Rubbed Oregano, brown sugar and salt. Stir while bringing to the boil. Reduce heat to a low simmer. Cook for 30 minutes with the lid off, stirring occasionally making sure the sauce does not reduce too much. Remove from the heat.
- Transfer sauce to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Taste and season with a little extra salt and black pepper if necessary.
* Once sauce is cooled pour into airtight containers. Can be frozen for up to 3 months.
* Sauce can be used as a based sauce for Mexican mince.
* Add the sauce to roasted vegetables.
* Use sauce as a pour over sauce for grilled chicken and fish.
This Mexican Base Sauce is a great base to making the following recipes: Mexican Black Beans & Tomato Rice and Slow Cooked Mexican Pulled Beef.