- Heat the olive oil in a medium/large saucepan. Add the onion and cook over a low heat until onion softens, stirring regularly.
- Add garlic and cook a further minute. Add Gregg’s Ground Coriander, Gregg’s Ground Cumin, Gregg’s Chilli Flakes and Gregg’s Ground Smoked Paprika and stir until the spices smell fragrant. Pour over Wattie's Tomatoes Chopped in Juice and add Gregg’s Rubbed Oregano, brown sugar and salt. Stir while bringing to the boil. Reduce heat to a low simmer. Cook for 30 minutes with the lid off, stirring occasionally making sure the sauce does not reduce too much. Remove from the heat.
- Transfer sauce to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Taste and season with a little extra salt and black pepper if necessary.
Slow Cooked Mexican Pulled Beef:
- Preheat the slow cooker onto low. Heat the Mexican Sauce on the stove top or microwave until hot.
- Place the shin beef into the slow cooker. Pour over the hot sauce. Cover. Cook on low for 7-8 hours, until the meat falls from the bones. Remove the meat from the sauce. Shred the meat with 2 forks.
- If necessary pour the remaining sauce into a saucepan. Reduce over a medium to high heat until you have approximately 1 cup of sauce remaining. Add the meat to the sauce.
- Fill tacos or burritos with the meat. Add you favourite fillings – shredded lettuce, tomato, avocado and top with salsa. Alternatively serve over rice.
* The Mexican pulled beef can be cooked in the oven. Cook at 140°C (fan assisted) or 150°C (conventional) for 4 ½ - 5 hours. Check after 3 hours. If sauce has thickened and reduced too much add a little extra water.
* To freeze: allow meat sauce to cool. Spoon into airtight containers. Cover and freeze. Can be frozen for up to 1 month.
* Add a little extra fresh chopped chilli if an extra chilli kick is wanted.